Tuesday 7 June 2016

Taking inspiration from Lan Nguyen-Grealis



I looked through my vast collection of makeup books to seek inspiration for my final piece and found the perfect ideal in Lan Nguyen- Grealis’ book ‘Art & Makeup’, in a section dedicated to creating artistic makeup looks with gelatine. She explained how to make pieces which can be pre made on a flat surface or layed onto the face to add dimension and texture into a makeup look.

 


I used this concept and adapted it to create the top part of my costume as I thought that it was an ideal way to add texture into my design and allowed me to be creative with the costume aspect.


Her use of textures on the skin also inspired my idea to use fullers earth to represent a different texture that can be created by snow/ice.

 
 


I then tried adding white aqua colour to a watery mixture of fullers earth and self raising flour (50:50) to lighten the colour. Once it had dried, I used my fingers to break down the product, causing small parts to flake away. This then created the appearance of a light dusting of snow on a surface such as a path way and I really liked the effect.
However, I think I will stipple some white aqua colour onto the skin before adding the fullers earth to brighten it and be able to add more of a fade into the makeup. I will try this out.



 






No comments:

Post a Comment