Tuesday 7 June 2016

Making the thorn prosthetics

I used air dry clay to sculpt the rose thorns. I began by rolling a small amount of clay between my fingers then squashing each side between my fingers until I had created a point at the top. I then used a sculpting tool to smooth the edges.

 


I then built clay walls around thorns and mixed together a plaster mixture (plaster of paris and water) and evenly coated each piece of clay with a small amount of the plaster mixture and blew it into the edge to remove any air bubbles. I poured over the rest of the plaster mixture and allowed it to dry.
Once the plaster had cooled and set completely, I removed the clay from it, revealing a plaster mould. I then filled it with layers of latex (drying and apply talc between each layer) until the moulds were completely filled.





Once the latex had dried thoroughly, I removed each prosthetic from the mould and then painted with pax that I made using pros-aide and acrylic paint. 


I then applied the prosthetics to my arm along with the fullers earth to see how the two elements looked together and I am really pleased with the look. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment