Tuesday 7 June 2016

Making the Costume... The Skirt

I purchased a large mosquito net online to act as the skirt for my costume. When it arrived, I cut out the centre and removed the wire from it. I then threaded elastic through the area which held the wire and stitched it together. Next, I cut the skirt to the correct length to fit my model, cutting diagonally around the sides and back to create a long train.
I then began to stitch each petal on one at a time, overlapping one another and continued this around the entire skirt.

 

 



Problem solving!
As I was sewing each petal on, overlapping the sides of the petals, I soon realised I would need far more than 300 home made petals to cover the entire skirt as I had planned and with each petal requiring 4 layers of latex, it soon became an impossible task. Due to this, I then decided to unpick all of the rose petals I had stitched and then re-stitch them back on more sporadically and without overlapping them too much. I focused most of the rose petals on the top to cover the models modesty and began to leave larger gaps between them the further down I went.
I also cut the train shorter to help with the petal placement and painted a few paper petals pink to fill in any smaller gaps. I then used pva glue to stick the edges of some of the petals together as thy folder over in some places due to the ruffling in the skirt.


To add the final details to the skirt, I layed it out and coated certain areas with watered down pva glue. I then sprinkled and pressed a mixture of artificial snow and silver leaf into the glue and allowed it to dry, concentrating on applying the snow to the top of the skirt and at the bottom to reflect natural snow fall. I added final detail with a few diamantes. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment