Monday 17 November 2014

7.10.14 Foundation Selections.

7.10.14

Foundation Selections.

My first lesson focused on foundation selections and applications. My makeup kit includes a selection of light, medium and full coverage foundations in cream and liquid forms and this lesson focused on what makeup look these different products created, how they suited certain skin types and colour matching. This lesson taught me, that as well as having a brief to fill, for example, full coverage foundation look, s a makeup artist I would have to assess a client’s skin to decide which foundation would work best and which products to use before application. A good example would be assessing a client with dry skin. I would apply extra moisturiser on troubled areas and avoid using a powder foundation. A foundation with a dewy finish would be best for this skin type. Colour matching should also be assessed with careful consideration. When trying to mix a colour to suit your model, you should assess the colouring on their forehead, neck and arms. These areas are the closest to match as cheeks can become flushed and under eyes can be darker. Bearing all this in mind, the aim of this lesson was to create a natural foundation makeup look alongside a heavy foundation application and to later compare the two.

After cleansing, toning and moisturising my models skin, I applied concealer to areas that I felt needed more coverage. My model, Micheala had slight rosacea on her cheeks, so Kryolans derma palette worked well to conceal this, and when mixed with the face and body foundation, it wasn't too heavy. I made sure to use yellow tones with a hint of green to conceal the redness. The face and body foundation allowed the redness in her cheeks to pop through slightly, helping to create this natural foundation look. Using the D32 from the Kryolan derma palette reduced any blue tones under her eye. When I was happy with my base, I used a light dusting of Mac translucent powder to seal the makeup and reduce shine. To compliment this natural makeup look, I used Kryolan’s rouge palette to softly apply a blush shade on the apples of her cheeks with my ring finger. Taking her rosacea into account, I only added a small amount of colour to even out the red patches that were still noticeable through the foundation base. I applied the same shade to her lips to unify the whole look. Overall, I think this look really suited my model. The natural base complimented her soft eyes and she remarked that she was comfortable with how her rosacea was covered for this natural look.


The heavier foundation look required using a cream foundation rather than a liquid. For ample coverage, I would simply warm the product up on my hand and apply to the skin. For a lighter coverage, mixing medium could have been used. Being a full coverage foundation lover, I didn't use any mixing medium! I also wanted to see how well this particular foundation would cover my model, Micheala’s rosacea. Finding these things out now will be imperative for my career as a makeup artist. I used the neutral and yellow foundations from my Le Maquillage palette, designed by Morag Ross to create the perfect base colour that would conceal any blemishes. I used a foundation brush to evenly apply it all over her face, using the warmth from my fingers to further blend it in where brush marks were visible, as this foundation is very movable. Using D32 from Kryolan’s derma palette under the eye hid any blue tones and blending yellow tones from the same palette took away any redness left. The combination of these two products created maximum coverage and concealed any redness with ease. After blending out any creases left around the eyes, I powdered her face to set the foundation. I was able to apply a rouge colour to her cheeks more liberally, as her rosacea was fully concealed. Overall, I enjoyed doing this makeup look the most, as I am very interested in skin perfecting techniques using makeup. And although my model, Michaela preferred her more natural makeup look, she agreed that the full coverage makeup would have been ideal for a special occasion. 

Michaela half heavy, half light foundation application

Michaela half heavy, half light foundation application. Flash on

No comments:

Post a Comment