Wednesday 19 November 2014

14. 10.14 Carmen Brick Roller Set



Lesson objective: To apply and dress out a Carmen brick roller set

Tools used:
Carmen rollers
Setting spray
Mousse
Tail comb
Postiche brush
Denman brush


Once the Carmen rollers were heated, I brushed the hair using a paddle brush and applied mousse to add texture to the hair and help it hold once the rollers had been put in. I sectioned the hair into a brick pattern, using the biggest rollers at the front of the hair and the smallest ones at the base of the neck. This would give the hair bounce and volume, rather than curl it. I took sections of the hair no wider than the roller and wrapped the hair round. To ensure a neat curl, I kept tension in the hair whilst rolling and tucked in any loose ends with my pin tail comb.Once the rollers were completely cooled, I began to dress out the hair. As my dolls hair was quite frizzy, due to previous styling, I decided to run my fingers through the hair to break up the curls, rather than use a brush to avoid worsening the frizzy ends.

Once I had done this, I parted sections of the hair, starting from the nape and back combed them using a postiche brush, making sure to smooth the top of the hair over for a smooth finish. The aim was to create a glamorous bouncy hairstyle, so I opted for maximum backcombing! I worked my way through the hair, making sure any lines left from the roller set were concealed. I did this back brushing the hair in between my roller sections to back brush. I decided not to part the hair at the front to really show off the shape created by using the bigger rollers and back combing on the top of the head.

Problem solving

The hair on my dolly head is not as long as the hair in my reference picture. However, i do think if i applied the same techniques on longer hair, i would have achieved the desired look. If i were on set and this hair style was desired, I would have added a few clip in extensions for added volume and length.

Overall, I am pleased with the final look. I would have liked to have spent more time dressing the hair out but I am glad I finished in time. I am becoming more confident with my heated roller application and brick setting, therefore my speed is picking up.

Reference picture: Pamela Anderson. Big glamorous hair with loose tousled curls. 


Carmen rollers applied in a brick set

How the hair looked once the rollers were taken out

Volume at the front of the hair

Volume and movement at the back of the hair

No comments:

Post a Comment