Thursday 27 November 2014

11.11.14 Blow- drying. Creating volume

11.11.14

Blow- drying. Creating volume

This lesson focused on creating volume and movement in the hair using specific blow drying techniques. In today’s lesson I used a dolly head, which I simply dampened using my spray bottle to return the hair to its natural alpha keratin state, as the hair is hygroscopic.

I began by sectioning the hair no wider than my large radial brush and dampening with water. It is important to for each section i am drying to be kept damp as this helps to produce a smooth finish. I then positioned my brush directly under the root of the hair and pulled upwards and outwards from the root as I applied heat from the dyer; however I kept the airflow direction pointing down towards the points of the hair to ensure the cuticle scales laid flat. I continued sectioning and dampening each section of hair and pulling upwards from the root. To aid the lift and volume of the hair, I used Velcro rollers. These would be ideal on set if the client had to wait around after. It would stop the volume in the hair from dropping. After a while I carefully removed the rollers and back combed the top section of the hair using my pastiche brush to add extra volume and height to the hair.

Problem solving
The only problem that occurred whilst dressing out this look was creating soft neat ends. The hair on the dolly head can become quite frizzy and unmanageable. I overcome this by applying more heat to the ends of the hair and creating as much tension as I could with my brush. This helped smooth out the ends.

Dampened hair. Before. 

Volume I created at the root
Volume created at the roots
Velcro roller application
Volume and lift finished result. Back


Volume and lift finished result. Front

Overall, I felt confident applying the correct blow drying techniques to achieve this look. I think my speed could have picked up a little, as a lot of my time was spent trying to cause as much volume and lift with the radial brush and dryer and smoothing out the ends.










No comments:

Post a Comment