Thursday 27 November 2014

25.11.14 Use of electrical equipment for texture

25.11.14

Use of electrical equipment for texture- Hot sticks, crimpers and crimping techniques

This lesson concentrated on the different techniques and tools that can be used to create a crimped effect and ample texture in the hair. I applied three different techniques to create a crimped effect.

The first technique involved using a large geisha pin  and is called rick- racking. This method involves applying the pin to the hair root and wrapping the hair around the pin in a figure 8 motion whilst keeping the hair pulled tight. Once all the hair was wrapped around the pin, I used hair straighteners to apply the heat which would set the hair in this shape. When the hair was heated through, I allowed it to cool completely while still wrapped around the geisha pin. Doing so would create a tighter and longer lasting shape. I carefully removed the grip from the hair to reveal a very strong dynamic tight wave. The hair can be left like this or brushed through for an afro effect.




The second technique I applied was creating a wave using hot sticks. To create a wave, I twisted the hair as I rolled it around the hot stick. If I wanted to create a curl, I would simply wrap the hair around the hot stick without twisting it. Twisting creates more of a zig-zag wave. 





The third method I applied to create a crimp effect was simply plaiting a section of hair and then applying heat with the straighteners. The tighter the crimp, the smaller and tighter the plait. I didn't heat the plait for as long as I could so only a slight crimp was created. If I were to use this method to create a crimp, I would hold the straighteners on the plait for longer. 


Overall, I think my application of the different crimping methods was adequate. I am especially pleased with the rick-racking technique I had applied. I had never seen this method before but found I picked up the wrapping technique quite quickly. I was really pleased with the results and will definitely use this technique again when creating a dramatic hairstyle. 
















No comments:

Post a Comment