Monday 17 November 2014

07.10.14 Wet roller set- Brick setting

07.10.14

Wet roller set- Brick setting


My second lessons objective was to practice a wet roller set, using a brick setting technique and dressing this look out to achieve bouncy hair with subtle curls. Applying a brick set stops any sectioning of the hair being visible once the hair was dressed out. Due to lack of time, instead of washing the hair before rolling it, we simply sprayed the hair. This would probably be the case if working on set to a specific time, as long as the model's hair was clean. After applying setting spray to the sectioned pieces of hair (no wider than the roller itself), I rolled the hair around the spring roller, making sure to fold in any loose ends using my tail comb. I secured the rollers with hairpins. After applying heat using a hair dryer hood and letting the hair cool down completely, I carefully removed the rollers and brushed the curls out using a Denman brush. It is vital to allow the hair to cool down completely, as the cooling down process is what sets the hair in a style for longer. Temporary bonds that join the polypeptide chains in the cortex are broken when wet hair is stretched by blow drying and setting. When it is blow dried, the temporary bonds rejoin to make a new shape, and the hair is in beta keratin state, rather than an alpha keratin state.  I styled the hair to the side and brushed the curls under, creating quite a glamorous style.

Problem solving.
The hair on my dolly head was very frizzy from previous Period hair styling lessons. The frizzy ends made rolling the hair quite difficult, however, if I had been able to wash the dolly prior to styling, this would not have been an issue and the ends would have looked a lot neater. Trying to wet and curl the frizzy ends made me fall back with my time keeping but I am pleased I managed to dress the style out. Given more time, I am confident my hairstyle would have turned out a lot better.


Tools used:

  • Water spray bottle
  • Setting spray
  • Tail comb
  • Denman brush
  • Rollers
  • Hair dryer
  • Hair dryer hood
Rollers- Brick set

Removing rollers

Hair brushed out and styled

Finished result



No comments:

Post a Comment