Monday 9 March 2015

The Day of the Shoot!!


And so the day of the fashion shoot came. Me and my fellow class mate, Charlotte Forrester made the decision to book a photographer and studio session together as we thought it would be beneficial for cost, safety and confidence when experiencing out first independent shoot. Together, we found a photographer through StarNow who we chose to work with after looking at recommendations, previous work and location. We found our models individually. I chose my model based on her previous work and hair colour. My model’s previous experience working in the burlesque industry stood out to me as she not only had body confidence but she could portray a sense of playfulness though her work. I wanted my magazine cover to be fun, colourful, playful, cheeky, feminine and girly and I believed my models blonde hair and burlesque qualities could help achieve this.

I met my model at Hammersmith train station and we travelled one stop together to the studio where we met the photographer. During this time together, I spoke more about the brief and what I expected (We had had many facebook conversations already in which I asked if she had any allergies or queries) and ensured she felt relaxed about the day. Charlotte Forrester arrived with her model shortly after. After I gave the photographer a mood board containing ideas for the shoot, I set up my work station and washed my hands. I began braiding my models hair and securing then I held hair straighteners over each braid to create a soft crimp in the hair. I opted to create the crimp this way as I thought it would create a softer crimp than a hair crimper would and also because this was the technique applied by the team for Ryan Lo for SS15 Fashion Week. I then left the hair to completely cool and set.

Next, I unplugged and moved the heated appliance out of the way and washed my hands again. I then cleansed my models skin and assessed it as I did so. As I was applying glitter to her eyes, I decided to apply the eye makeup first so I could clean up and spillages of glitter before creating a clean base. To further shield the face from glitter, I applied a powder guard under her eyes. I then patted a pink eye shadow to the entire lid and up to the brow to act as a base colour underneath the glitter I would then be applying. Although most of the glitter I would be using was cream based, I chose to sweep a thin layer of clear lip gloss to help the glitter products adhere further and help stop the makeup from creasing. After doing so, I applied three different cream glitter including a white, glitter, silver glitter and pink glitter. The last type of glitter I applied was a fine loose pink glitter, which I carefully patted onto the entire lid and up to the brow using the end of my brush.  (All glitter products were approved for cosmetic use and are part of the Schedule 5 listing, Cosmetic Products Safety Regulations).  I then dusted away the powder guard and applied silver eye shadow, followed by silver cream glitter along my models lower lash line. To finish, I stuck various gems and sequins to the top lid and lined the bottom lash line with silver gems. I used eyelash glue to adhere the gems after checking my model was not allergic to latex.

I then used celotape to pick up any glitter fallout then moisturised my models skin. I noticed her skin was dry in some areas, so I applied hydrating moisturiser generously and allowed it to soak in while I mixed together a suitable base foundation. I then swept Mac Strobe cream over her skin for a healthy glow. I worked two different foundations into her skin- Mac Studio Fix foundation and Mac Face and Body. I applied the Studio Fix foundation first then sheered it out slightly by buffing Face and Body foundation over and into it with a different brush. I dabbed a small amount of D32 under her eyes to conceal any dark circles then blended the foundation over it. I did not use any concealer as I wanted the base makeup to look very clean, sheer and natural. And luckily my model had blemish free skin. To keep in with the skin looking fresh, light and dewy, I opted for a cream blush over a powder product, as it would cause the cheeks to look too matte. I used my ring finger to dab and blend a small amount of rose coloured cream blush onto the apples of her cheeks for a hint of subtle colour. I did not use the blush shade to contour the face to keep the skin looking fresh and natural.

To set the makeup I swept a small amount of Prep+Prime loose powder over her ace, concentrating mostly on her T-zone, which could later become oily, especially under the photographic lighting. Selecting a powder for photographic shoots is vital as it can show up under strong photographic lighting. Using HD powders (which work well on TV) will show up under photographic lighting and make the makeup look messy and unprofessional.

Once I was happy with the base, I applied the lip gloss. I dabbed foundation onto my models lip before applying the pink gloss to help the colour pop a bit more.
I then dressed her hair out into a side parting and added volume and fun movement by back combing the hair. I then created two pin curls at the back of her head, which I then cross gripped. These pin curls would help keep the veil in place, as I clipped it to the pin curls.



I then added bold and blingy accessories, which could be seen at SS15 Fashion Week at shows including Ashish, Moschino, Betsey Johnson and Ryan Lo. I added a tiara, diamante rings, bracelets and necklaces in silver and pink- the more the better! I then asked my model to get changed into a pink lacy crop top that I had bought for the shoot. I chose to dress my model in this as the bright pink colour was representative of the colours featured in Moschino’s designs and the lacy lingerie was representative of Betsey Johnson’s wedding lingerie range for ‘Prenup’. My model would later change into a mint green and baby pink costume which also complimented the looks depicted in my chosen inspirational trends from SS15. 



Problems that occurred/ Problem solving
Her eye makeup creasing became a returning factor, which I did not think would happen because when I practised the makeup on myself, the makeup did not crease at all in the time period I was wearing it. However, I understand that everyone is different and makeup can look and react differently on certain skin colours and types so I made sure I kept retouching the eye makeup throughout the shoot whenever the photographer stopped. Nevertheless, the eye Makeup creasing was not a massive issue, as it could not be seen hen her eyes were open. Minor difficulties that occurred included forgetting to bring a bag to put any tissues, used cotton buds etc in (school boy error!) and not having an appropriate work station to work at. I did not have a mirror to work from and was quite immovable in a small area next to a massive plant! To make the best of a bad situation, I got my model to sit facing the window so I had as much light to work with as possible and kept standing back to view the makeup for continuity. 

Behind the Scenes. GETTING INVOLVED!



My model’s large tattoo’s would have been an issue if I were to use her for a shoot suitable for Vogue but I do not feel the tattoo’s were unsuited for a cover for LOVE magazine due to this daring and Avant-gard take on fashion. I also though her tattoo’s matched the overall look well as they were made up of pink, lilac and blue tones, similar to the confetti. I also thought using a tattoo’s model fit in well with some of the “unconventional” models used at SS15 Fashion Week. Betsey Johnson’s ‘Prenup’ featured men in full makeup wearing wedding dresses and the beautiful Winnie Harlow modelled for Ashish. I am a massive supporter of seeing peoples beauty whatever choice they make or however they look, as is Betsey Johnson and designers for Ashish. I did not want to mask my models tattoo's that make her who she is. 
My model's tattoo's were not an issue when conducting and styling this shoot.
The beautiful Winnie Harlow modelling for Ashish and one of the fierce drag queens modelling for Betsey Johnson. 
References
Image Winnie Harlow for Ashish- Cosmouk.cdnds.net, (2015). [online] Available at: http://cosmouk.cdnds.net/14/38/1600x800/nrm_1410947490-ashish-winnie-harlow.jpg [Accessed 22 Feb. 2015].
Image Drag Queen for Betsey Johnson- Lovelace-media.imgix.net, (2015). [online] Available at: http://lovelace-media.imgix.net/getty/455205904.jpg?w=778&h=598&fit=max&q=70 [Accessed 22 Feb. 2015].

No comments:

Post a Comment