Monday 9 March 2015

Catwalk Workshop Incorporating sequins/feathers/glitter...

Today’s lesson focused on creating a high fashion makeup look, furthering my attention on creating artistic lines, using bold colours and incorporating different textures, using materials such as glitters, sequins and feathers.

I began by cleansing and moisturising the skin, and then using shades C.1, 14 and 124, I mixed together a base colour to match the skin perfectly. I applied it with a foundation brush then buffed the product in and removed any excess product with a buffing brush- doing this created a flawless yet natural looking base and the creamy texture of the product would allow grease paints to glide onto the skin and blend with ease as I did not set the base with powder.

I then used a mixture of Makeup Forever grease paints to sweep on different lines. I began by sweeping a bright coral shade along the side of the nose and swept the line upwards and above the eye brow then created a soft zigzag line to finish. Using another brush, I applied a hot pink shade as if to contour her cheek bone in one sweeping motion, then used my ring finger to blend out the lower edge of the line. This began to add dimension to the makeup. To add more definition an add a 3D effect, I then used an intense turquoise shade to cut through the pink contour line, which created the 3D illusion when paired on top of the shaded hot pink line. I then followed the shape of her jaw beneath the contour line using a bright yellow shade. I kept this line softer by using a fluffier brush to apply it. The final colour I applied was a royal blue shade to her lips, in which I exaggerated her cupids bow slightly with a point for a more futuristic look.

To add texture, I applied glitter in a triangular shape directly beneath my models eyes. I used hydro spirit gum, which I patted onto the skin using ring finger. Once the glue was tacky, I used the same finger to press purple glitter onto the skin then. I then applied mascara to my models top and bottom lashes to complete the eye area.

To finish the look and add another texture, I dotted liquid latex over my models face then pressed small sequins into the latex. This is a quick and safe way to stick items onto the skin (as long as the model is not allergic to latex).




Problem solving
When I began removing the makeup, I noticed that the purple glitter had stained my models skin bright pink, showing no signs of coming off. As it had stained on such a delicate area of the skin, I did not want to rub it too much, so I sought the help of my tutor Branka, who advised me to use grape seed oil on the affected area. I soaked a cotton wool pad in the oil and held it under my models eyes for a while then gently massaged it in to help loosen the pink colour that had stained. After a while, the stain had disappeared. This has taught me to avoid using purple glitter on the face but also prepared me for his kind of situation. I will definitely have grape seed oil in my kit in case of such circumstances in the future!


Overall, although I am really pleased with my base colour mix and application and the neatness of the lines I created on the face, I struggled initially to just let go and apply random lines! For years I have applied makeup to be perfecting and precise/symmetrical so applying these free hand techniques using different colours and lines did not com natural to me. However, I am pleased to have practised this makeup and feel that the next time I am asked to do so, I will feel a bit more confident. 

No comments:

Post a Comment