Monday 9 March 2015

Contrasting Colours in Makeup

Today's lesson concentrated on applying my knowledge of the colour wheel to create a high fashion stand out makeup look. The key to to making this look a stand out success is to incorporate specific colours of the colour wheel as they compliment one another so well that one does not stand out more than the other. 



 I began by applying a base makeup that would compliment this bold, fresh makeup look. After cleansing and moisturising my model’s skin, I applied a full coverage foundation sparingly to parts of her face that required more coverage, like around her nose and on any red areas on her cheeks. I then buffed Mac Face and Body into the remaining makeup and blending it outwards to create a sheer, beautiful base. Once the base was applied, I used the mirror to assess for any areas under the eye that may need concealing further. I dotted and then blended a small amount of Mac pro concealer in Mid-Peach to correct any dark circles that were still showing through the makeup. Once I was happy with the base coverage, I swept translucent loose powder over her entire face.

I then added subtle highlighting and shading to the makeup to add definition to the base makeup. I mixed Ben Nye Glam Shadow shades Cobblestone and Mink Stole together to create a taupe shade that was reminiscent of natural shading colours that can be seen on the face and applied it minimally to my model cheek bones, jaw line and temples. I used Mac Vanilla pigment to highlight the bridge of my models nose, above her cheek bones and her cupid’s bow.

To make the eyeshades appear brighter and pop with more colour, I applied white supracolor along her lower lash line and upper eye lid. I then used my knowledge of the colour wheel to pick three colours (one for the upper lid, another for the lower lash line and the third to be used on the lip). I opted to used the colours green, yellow and orange as they are analogous colours on the colour wheel, meaning they are placed next to one another and therefore complement one another perfectly. The three colours used together bought a feel of sun, fun and carnival vibes, as these colours are warm tones rather than shades of blue and purple which are cold tones.

I began by applying the green eye shadow to the lid. I pressed it onto the white supracolor to avoid smudging the shadow into it and to build up the colour. Once this was done, I applied the same technique to the lower lash line and pressed the yellow eye shadow into the white supracolor. I also swept the white supracolor and yellow shadow to the waterline, which needs only a small amount of product! I then finished off this colourful makeup look my sweeping shade 59 from my Mandy Gold Le Maquillage Palette over her lips. This intense orange shade rounded off the look as a whole.

Finishing touches included applying a coat of mascara on the top lashes, filling in her eyebrows (using Kryolan derma concealer shades D10 and D11 and set with powder) and a touch of blusher to her cheeks. I dabbed shades LC006 and LC004 onto her cheeks, as the warm peach tones complemented the warm tones used on her eyes and lips. 



Overall, I am very pleased with base application, including choices of colour for the contouring shade, blusher shade and eyebrow shades. I feel that my confidence in choosing products that will match or enhance specific skin tones is improving and my application is becoming faster. I like the three bright colours I chose as they not only compliment one another because thy are analogous colours but they compliment my models light bright hair and skin tone. Nevertheless, if I were to re-create this makeup again, I would like it to be  touch neater around the eyes- less supracolor is more!

Products used
  • Mac Studio Fix foundation- C1
  • Mac Face and Body foundation- NC15
  • Mac Pro concealer- Mid- Peach
  • Mac Prep+Prime loose powder- Translucent
  • Mac pigment- Vanilla
  • Ben Nye Glam Shadows- Mink Stole, Cobblestone
  • Kryolan Supracolor- White
  • Kryolan eye shadows- Green and Yellow
  • Mandy Gold Le Maquillage- 59
  • Kryolan Rouge shades- LC006, LC004
  • Kryolan Derma concealer shades- D10, D11

Examples of contrasting colours used on the eyes and lips.
References
Colour wheel- Theladyandthebeard.com, (2015). [online] Available at: http://www.theladyandthebeard.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/color-theory.jpg [Accessed 7 Feb. 2015].
Contrasting eye makeup 1- Jetsetfashionmagazine.com, (2015). [online] Available at: http://jetsetfashionmagazine.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/MAC.jpg [Accessed 7 Feb. 2015].
Contrasting eye makeup 2- Makeupjournal.net, (2015). [online] Available at: http://makeupjournal.net/wp-content/gallery/gallery/female-eye-with-fashion-saturated-make-up.jpg [Accessed 7 Feb. 2015].
Contrasting eye makeup 3- Diet Plan 101, (2015). colourful-makeup-134 - Diet Plan 101. [online] Available at: http://dietplan101.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/colourful-makeup-134.jpg [Accessed 7 Feb. 2015].

No comments:

Post a Comment