Monday 9 March 2015

Contrasting Colours- Incorporating artistic lines and vibrant blush tones

Today's lesson involved incorporating and evolving techniques and applications learnt in my previous lesson. The makeup look practised today paired the previous colourful eye and lip makeup with a bold blush tone and artistic back lines to create a high fashion look reminiscent of works by makeup artists such as Pat McGrath, Val Garland and Alex Box.

Makeup designs by Pat McGrath, Alex Box and Val Garland incorporating contrasting colours and lines.

I began by prepping my skin and applying a small amount of full coverage foundation, which I buffed away as I applied it, for a natural but even skin tone. I then concealed any areas that needed extra overage using the same foundation and applied D32 along the dark areas under my eyes and blended in. As the base makeup was staying quite subtle, the natural highlights and contours of the face were kept soft and well blended. I used cream products as they can be warmed up and well blended into the skin to create the highlight and contour shades. I then set the base with powder, which I lightly swept over the face with a fluffy brush. Keeping the natural elements of the makeup subtle, I filled in the brows using a small amount of shadow. Doing this will allow the contrasting colours I will apply later to really pop.

Like before, I used white supra colour as a base for the bright eye shadow colours to enhance the brightness and applied it over the top lid and along the lower lash line and dragged the edges out into artistic points. (I had already applied a full coverage foundation and incorporated highlighting a contouring, as well as filling in my eyebrows).

Eye prepped with white supracolor
I then blended yellow, purple and aqua eye shadows over the white supracolor. I opted to use purple and yellow on the top lid as they are opposing colours on the colour wheel and therefor compliment each other well. The bright blue tone I applied underneath is a double complimentary colour to the yellow tone.
How using supracolor enhances the brightness of any eye shadow

The Kryolan Variety Eye Shadow Palette I used. 

All three shadows applied over the white supracolor

Once I had blended all three Kryolan eye shadows together with a fluffy eye shadow brush, I then mixed water with a black aqua colour to create the perfect consistency that would enable me to brush on black lines that were bold in colour but was watered down enough for me to sweep on precise pointed lines. I began by lining my top lash line and dragging my small detailing brush outwards to create a dramatic winged liner. I then followed the line into the inner corner of my eye to create a stylish point there too. I applied the same technique along the bottom edge of the blue eye shadow, dragging the lines out in both directions to create sharp points. I then used my small detailing brush to add more detailed lines under my brow and a small circle. I used another small brush and cleansing water to sweep away any shaky lines!



Incorporating artistic lines using black aquacolor and shading the cheek with white supracolor

I then used my ring finger to dab more white supracolor onto my cheek, as I wanted to enhance the blush shades I would be using to compliment the eye makeup. I applied less colour to the edges and tapered out the product so the bright blush tones would blend subtly over my cheek. I began by applying a bright coral eye shadow along my cheek bone and into the centre of my cheek, then used a bright pink shade to blend the blusher out into the edges. I then added more intensity to the blusher by applying a bright red eye shadow along my cheek bone. To unify the look, I swept a black line above the blusher and added another small circle, then finished by applying a bright red lip shade to my lips and adding false lashes!

Finished result with the addition of bright blush colours and a bold lip!!


Overall, this is my favourite makeup look I have created so far. I think the use of colours and lines have worked so well to create a bold makeup in which all the components compliment one another so well that the makeup looks beautiful rather than wacky. I am really pleased with my application techniques and neat lines. I also think my choice of colours work well and incorporating fake lashes added a new dimension to the overall look.

Products used

  • Mac Studio Sculpt foundation- NC37
  • Kryolan Derma Color Camouflage Creme- D4, D1
  • Morag Ross Le Maquillage- 117
  • Mac Prep+Prime loose powder- Translucent
  • Beneft- Hula
  • Kryolan Supracolor- White 
  • Kryolan Variety eye shadow palette- Yellow, Purple, Blue (on eyes) Red, Coral, Pink (on cheeks)
  • Kryolan Aquacolor- Black
  • Mac Zoom Fast Lash mascara- Black
  • Mac Lip pencil- Cherry
  • Mac Mineralize lipstick- Everyday Diva
  • Fake lashes/ duo lash glue
  • Mac Eyebrow pencil- Stud




References
Pat McGrath makeup 1- Fashion156.com, (2015). [online] Available at: http://www.fashion156.com/resources/uploads/2013/08/Fashion156-beauty-and-grooming-week-Pat_McGrath_08-570x717.jpg [Accessed 7 Feb. 2015].
Pat McGrath makeup 2- Stylenoir.co.uk, (2015). [online] Available at: http://www.stylenoir.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Pat-McGrath-SN9.jpg [Accessed 7 Feb. 2015].
Alex Box makeup- Amoremodernculture.files.wordpress.com, (2015). [online] Available at: http://amoremodernculture.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/030-4228-58-030rgbfinal.jpg [Accessed 7 Feb. 2015].
Val Garland makeup- Jetsetfashionmagazine.com, (2015). [online] Available at: http://jetsetfashionmagazine.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/MAC-Master-Class-2013-Val-Garland.jpg [Accessed 7 Feb. 2015].

No comments:

Post a Comment