Wednesday 3 December 2014

25.11.14 Catwalk Makeup- Classical

25.11.14

Catwalk Makeup- Classical.

This lesson required re-creating a classic catwalk look in a given amount of time, using the products in my college kit to get as close a match as I could to the colours and products used in the photo allocated to me. Time given: 45 minutes.
The first thing I did once I was given my picture was assess which areas of makeup stood out the most detail. In my case, it was the models brown and aubergine smoky eye makeup with a classic catwalk edge that stood out the most as the makeup was shaded quite far out from the eye. I decided to apply the eye shadow first to avoid any fallout ruining the flawless base I wanted to create. I began by highlighting under my model, Maisie’s brow bone using Shroom then applying a light pink shimmer shade from the Revolution palette over the top section of her eyelid. I chose these particular shadows because the makeup in the reference picture was shimmery in these areas. I then applied a wash of Brownberry over the eyelid and along the lower lash line before blending Eggplant over to add depth. This was the standout shade. However, adding the subtle pink and brown tones is what really made the eye makeup pop and look luxurious. I blended brown tones along the top and bottom lash lines to darken the eye area then applied brown pencil on her waterline. At first glance I thought the colour used on the waterline was black, however on closer inspection I noticed it was brown and this was one of the elements that kept the makeup looking soft. I used fluffy blending brushes to taper the shadow out to elongate her eye shape. To keep the eye area looking soft, I filled the brows using soft feathered motions with an angled brush. To make sure my blending was even and the makeup was uniform, I kept standing back and assessing the makeup through the mirror. I cleaned up the eye area.


I used the time while cleansing and moisturising my models face to assess her skin tone and any problem areas. I used Mac Studio Fix foundation for a full coverage effect to complement the smoky eye makeup and achieve a flawless base. I buffed it into her skin, taking care around the eye area. I concealed any areas that needed extra coverage to recreate the flawless base using Mac’s Pro Concealer mixed with the foundation. I used D32 under her eyes to counteract any blue tones. I applied a small amount of powder under her eye to stop the makeup from creasing. I then subtly contoured her cheeks and jaw line to define and slim the face. I then blended it out to look really natural. Once I was happy with the application and blending, I applied loose powder to set the makeup. When I first inspected the reference picture, I noticed how poignant the highlighted areas were. I think the highlighted areas were a lot more prominent than the contoured areas to stop the makeup looking too dark- the same method applied to the eye makeup with the use of soft purples and browns. I opted to use Mac Soft and Gentle highlighter as it is really pigmented and creates a beautiful soft shimmer. I swept it along the centre of her forehead, on her chin, down the bridge of her nose and along her cheek bone. This made the skin look healthy and glamorous. I inspected the picture again to assess the blush tone and what technique to use when applying it. The blush was kept soft and subtle to allow the eye makeup to be the most dominant part of the makeup. I used the same method when applying the lip colour- I kept it soft and natural, using pink tones. I applied mascara to the top and bottom lashes and swept a clear gloss over her lip to add a glam shine. For a final catwalk flare, I applied strip lashes to her upper lash line to make her lashes appear fuller and her eye look sultrier.


Products used:
·         Mac eyeshadow- Shroom
·         Ben Nye Glam Shadow Palette- shades Eggplant, Brownberry
·         Mac eyebrow pencil- (worn on waterline) Lingering
·         Mac Studio Fix foundation- NC15
·         Kryolan Derma Palette- D32
·         Mac Pro Concealer- Mid-yellow, Mid-peach
·         Morag Ross Le Maquillage Palette- (to contour) 117
·         Mac Prep+Prime loose powder- Translucent
·         Mac highlighter- Soft and Gentle
·         Mac Haute & Naughty mascara- Black
·         Kryolan Rouge Palette- shades LC003, LC120
·         Clear gloss
·         Mac Blush- Blushbaby
·         Duo lash glue

·         Strip lashes


The finished look.



Overall, I think I achieved a makeup look worthy of the catwalk. At first, I panicked at the time frame but I know speed is essential in this industry so I aimed to complete the makeup in the time given by keeping track of time and allowing myself around 10 minutes for each area of the face. I am pleased with my assessment of the colours used and my application techniques. If I were to recreate this makeup again, I would blend the eye makeup out a lot more around the edges for a softer feel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment