Thursday 4 December 2014

2.12.14 Dressing out techniques for long styling

2.12.14 Dressing out techniques for long styling

This lesson focused on dressing out a chignon with long hair and the use of heated equipment for texture and volume.


Examples of textured hair with a chignon my tutor Emma put together



At the beginning of the lesson, my tutor Emma demonstrated the different products and styles that could be incorporated to make a chingnon style worthy of a red carpet. She had used hot sticks to add texture to the hair and then dressed them out. She formed the bun just slight of the nape of the neck for a classy look and incorporated sections of hair into neat loops and twists to form an elegant chignon. She made use of the texture created from using the hot sticks by not tying the hair back too tightly and allowing the natural waves to flow around the head. This gave direction and movement to the hair style and created a classic sophisticated style.
The class was then free to pick which equipment they wanted to use to put texture into the hair. Texture could have been formed using a blow dryer, curling tongs, crimpers, hot sticks and Carmen rollers. I opted for hot sticks as I wanted to create an ‘S’ shape throughout the hair.
I began by plugging the hot sticks in, making sure any wires were tucked away and sectioning my dolly’s hair ready for the hot stick application. I parted the hair to the side and sectioned the two front areas off as I wanted the hair to sweep away from the face and attach to the chignon. I then sectioned the back area.
Once the hot sticks were at the correct temperature, I began applying them to the front sections in a directional set, using setting spray as I did so. I chose to begin at the front as this was the area that I wanted to have most texture. Once finished, I applied them in a brick set formation to add volume. I let them cool for as much time as I could allow, allowing the hair to really set.
Once cooled, I removed the back rollers and began to form my chignon at the nape of the neck. I tied the hair into a low pony tail, sectioned it into two and rolled the hair inwards using my index fingers to create neat rolls in the hair. I secured with grips.
I then began to unravel the hot sticks from the front section. I combed the hair through and pulled the hair round. I secured with a grip, letting the curls hang loose for now. I then combed the loose hair through and assessed where the curves made from the use of the hot sticks wanted the hair to sit. A natural ‘S’ shape was formed and I secured the sections into place around the chignon.

 



Problem solving
My first attempt at securing the front sections to the chignon did not work as planned. I began rolling the hair, going against the natural shape formed by the hot sticks and I found it difficult to manage. However, once I loosened the hair and combed it through, I assessed where the natural curves had been formed and simply secured in place. It was easier and created a much more uniform look.


Overall, I would like to have created a nicer and neater style. The rick racking techniques used in the previous lesson had left the hair very frizzy and hard to manage. I believe that if the hair had been better prepared for styling, I would have created a neater style. However, I do feel I need more practise with creating hairstyles like this one. I feel that I am a lot more confident creating a makeup looks rather than a hairstyle for a particular event or occasion so I would benefit from more practise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment