Wednesday 20 May 2015

Hair Designs- Tribal Influences



Design 1: This particular hair design was influenced by two different tribes; the Himba tribe, who use goat fur and clay to form ref dreadlocks with fluffy textured ends and the Zulu tribe, who braid their hair forward, onto the face. To incorporate both, I designed a hairstyle depicting a braid coming onto the face with textured ends to resemble the goat fur. If I were to create this hair style for my final image, I would begin by combing the sides of the hair upwards, smoothing over with a postiche brush and cross-gripping the hair in place. I would then braid the remaining hair gathered in the centre upwards from the nape of the neck, bringing it onto the forehead. I would then curl the hair, using small hot sticks and once set, I would back comb the curls to resemble the fluffy goat fur. 

Design 2: Although this hair style I designed for the tribal theme is simple, it is quite effective as it has a strong warrior feel to it. The hair is tied back ready for battle and metal pipe is used to manipulate the shape of the hair, bringing the pony tail far away from the head. This hair style was influenced by the many tribes who are known for disfiguring their bodies, elongating their necks, heads and lips, for example. If I were to create this style, I would maybe use a selection of hair bands to tie the hair away from the head and simply cover the bands with a thin sheet of metal or even paint a kitchen roll tube to look metal.



Design 3: I designed this hair style based more on a warrior than tribal, although I think the braid at the side adds a tribal feel. If I were to create this style, I would begin by applying Carmen rollers to the hair in a brick set, rolling the hair backwards and under down the middle section and applying the rollers vertically, rolling in wards at the sides to bring the hair back. Once cooled, I would remove the rollers along the sides and apply a single corn row plait. I would then remove the rollers in the middle section and back comb the hair at the roots one by one. I would then smooth the hair over with a postiche brush.

Design 4: I designed this style based on Alexander McQueen’s desire to make women feel empowered and be feared. I think both the Mohawk and the long warrior braid are quite intimidating, as it is quite a daring style. To create this style, I would begin by combing the sides of the hair upwards, smoothing over with a postiche brush and cross-gripping the hair in place, then straightening and applying gel to the ends of the hair to create a straight Mohawk. I would use long hair wefts, along with onion grass to form a messy braid.

Playing around with braiding







No comments:

Post a Comment